Coastal Romance Blog Hop





An Island Christmas

Christmas is here once again and on the Island of Anglesey we’re expecting a white one. The waters surrounding our little island will be cold and the golden sands white with flurries of snow. It will be hard to imagine that the sun ever shone on the blue waters.

How traditional are you at Christmas? I love traditions, for instance my children were always aloud to open one present before they went to bed on Christmas Eve and guess what at the ages of 24 and 21 they still like to do that. My daughter still likes to leave out a mince pie and glass of milk for Santa and off course a carrot for Rudolph, silly but great fun.

I will be making my many mince pies for us to have hot with fresh cream and slicing many pieces of the traditional fruit cake had at this time of year here on my island. It takes a few months for this cake to be ready, many soakings of Cointreau, and then covered with marzipan and royal icing.

Christmas morning my son since the age of about 4 has always made the pigs in blankets, that’s his one and only job and after so many years’ experience he does a grand job. Turkey, ham and pork will be cooked for the meat eaters and for me (a vegetarian) there will be a quorn roast.

It’s a lovely time of the year, one of my favourites. The day will finish with us along with my mum going to visit my sister and her children who are still young enough to enjoy Santa Claus.


My I take this opportunity to wish you all… A very merry Christmas and a prosperous New Year!

The pictures below are of Anglesey in winter!

The sand at the beach completely covered in snow.

Menai Bridge one of the two bridges that takes us from the island to the maunland

My son and daughter outside our house.

My daughter on the road that had us snowed in for three days.

Our Christmas Cake

Mince Pies



Visit me on my website for all my news and up and coming releases!









10 comments:

  1. I so love those photos it is normally really hot here in Australia but we always have a tradional lunch with family and I have just made 6 Christmas cakes I give some as presents :) so looking forward to Christmas this year I have 6 grandchildren now and the look on their faces is priceless brings back lots of memories from when my kids were little

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Helen, I can't imagine Christmas in warm weather ! That's not to say I wouldn't mid trying it some day ;) I have two grown up children and I agree with you when I see the faces of my nephews and nieces its priceless and brings back so many happy memories of when mine were still young enough to have that special glow.
      Merry Christmas to you
      Dilys

      Delete
  2. Those pictures look great! I most intrigued by the mince pies. I've read about them in so many books but never one eaten one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes it is very picturesque here on Anglesey even in winter! Oh my goodness, you've never eaten a mince pie if I thought they would get to you in one piece I would send you some. I can't even explain the taste...they're just Christmas and Santa really loves them in the U.K ;)

      Delete
  3. Hi Dilys *waving from west Wales* - from a fellow Coastal Romancer! Those photos are fab, but I hope we don't get snowed in this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris * waving back* - from North Wales. It's very nice to meet you. I actually don't mind being snowed in because there's something very relaxing knowing that I don't have to go out for anything !

      Delete
  4. It was lovely to see your photos of Anglesey. I hope you don't get snowed in again this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherry I forget how beautiful Anglesey is because I live here I tend to take all the beauty for granted! I have lots of books on my kindle just waiting for a snowy few days when I can have a reading fest ;)

      Delete
  5. Great Post. Loved your pictures. Now I'm off to figure out where Anglesey is. It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bette Anglesey is beautiful. If you go to my website there is a map and some information on how Anglesey is known for being "The Island of for Lovers" http://www.dilysjcarnie.com/life-on-anglesey.html :)

      Delete